THE TANGO OF BUENOS AIRES
FOR SERIOUS STUDENTS PLANNING CONSISTENT WEEKLY ATTENDANCE, LONG-TERM (Not Just “Once in a While”)
NO PARTNER NECESSARY
For first-time students, beginners, and those continuing. This is a great 3-hour session designed to introduce beginning students to the World of Tango. Attendees should plan consistent, weekly attendance in order to benefit the most. Our night is full of drills, exercises, basics, fundamentals, dance technique, understanding the music, leading & following, and fun patterns for lead-and-follow social dancing. Three hours have been scheduled to adequately do justice to all aspects of tango, and to prepare students for entry into higher-level classes. In fact, this boot camp will be everything a beginner needs to get started. This is a really fun evening!
THE TANGO OF BUENOS AIRES
The Tango of Buenos Aires is the must-do dance for today’s modern and discerning individual. Tango has become an enormously popular worldwide phenomenon. Search out “Tango” for any major city in any country of the world, and you will find a vibrant, dynamic, and enthusiastic Tango community. Tango has become the world’s most widely-danced dance!
INSTRUCTOR: PAUL PALMINTERE
A long-time Tango Veteran from Southern California, Paul is among the most highly qualified of tango instructors. He was one of the founders of the large Los Angeles Tango Community in 1986. He brings over 32 years of training & experience to this dance, and has been a major instructor since 1994. He has trained extensively with a great many of the famous instructors of Buenos Aires. A highly experienced and respected teacher, Paul is well-remembered for his pioneering classes throughout Southern California: Hollywood, Burbank, Los Angeles, Orange County, Riverside, Redlands, San Bernardino, and Palm Springs; and now Las Vegas and Henderson in Southern Nevada.
VOLUME DISCOUNT TANGO CLASS CARDS
We now offer Volume Discount Tango Class Cards, good for our entire Tango Program, that will afford students a substantial discount: a 10-Class Tango Card for $150 (cash) or $160 (check). For inquiries and more information about Volume Discount Tango Class Cards, contact Paul Palmintere at PaulPalmintere@Outlook.Com or (702) 463-1253.
FOOTWEAR FOR TANGO
In Tango, we do a lot of pivoting & walking on a wood dance floor. All night long, dancing Tango involves pivots, figure eights, chain steps, swivels, etc.
If you like Tango, and wish to stay involved long-term (and in order to make dancing more comfortable), you might want to invest in a pair of ballroom or tango dance shoes. These are specially designed to walk & freely pivot on a wood dance floor. They have either leather or suede soles, and a strap or laces over the top of the ankle to keep the shoe on the foot. Usually a woman’s shoe has a 3 or 4-inch heel, and a man’s shoe has a 1-inch heel.
You should avoid wearing flip-flops, slip-ons, platforms, boots, athletic footwear, or shoes with soles of synthetic materials like nylon or rubber (since these will grip the floor, and prevent you from pivoting freely). Avoid patent leather, or shoes with protruding welts on their edges.
Temporarily, dress shoes with leather soles, or even thick socks, might work.
IN-PERSON PURCHASES FROM VENDORS OR BRICK-AND-MORTAR STORES FOR TANGO SHOES ARE ALWAYS BEST:
When it comes to Tango shoes, it is always best to purchase them in-person from a vendor, or at an old-fashioned brick-and-mortar store, in order to ensure that the shoes fit properly.
In the Las Vegas Valley, there are some local shoe stores that I can recommend. First, there is a discount store near Eastern & Sunset that seems to have the best prices:
1) DANCE 4 LESS, DISCOUNT DANCE SHOES & DANCEWEAR, 2700 E. Patrick Ln., Las Vegas, NV 89120. This is at the corner of Patrick Ln. and Harrison, just east of Eastern Ave., and north of Sunset, near a Walmart Super Center. They are open till 6 pm, I believe. Phone: (702) 262-7946, email: Service@Dance4Less.Com, and website: www.Dance4Less.Com. If you mention that you study dance at Step By Step Studio @ The Stage in Anthem, you will receive a discount.
2) You might also want to try: JUDY’S DANCE SHOPPE, which has been recommended by some of my students, 2762 N. Green Valley Pkwy., Henderson, NV 89014. Their hours are Mon-Sat 10-6, and Sunday 11-3. Phone: (702) 450-7900, and website: www.JudysDance.Com.
3) You might also want to check out STAR COSTUME & THEATRICAL SUPPLY (they carry “Coast Ballroom Shoes”), 3230 S. Valley View (at the northwest corner of Valley View & Desert Inn), Las Vegas, NV 89102. Phone: (702) 731-5041, and email: StarCostume@Yahoo.Com . They are open Mon-Sat 10 am to 6 pm.
Spend some time at the store, and make sure the shoes fit properly before purchasing them.
PURCHASING TANGO SHOES ONLINE:
For shoes purchased online, I can recommend 2 sites for Tango shoes:
1) Yolanda Rossi, in Glendale, CA, is a wonderful Tango clothes designer, and imports the best Tango shoes from Buenos Aires and Europe. She is also a wonderful dancer & person from Buenos Aires, and a former Tango partner of mine. You can visit her website, www.TangoSplash.Com, and I believe she may even have an alternate site just for shoes alone. You can email her at ShoesByYolanda@Gmail.Com or her phone is (818) 244-2136.
2) In Tucson, AZ, contact Shelli’s Shoes; she has a fine reputation, and is recommended by pioneering Tango instructors Danel & Maria, who publish “The Tango Times” magazine. Visit Shelli’s website: www.ShoesByShelli.Com. You can email her at LittleTango@Cox.Net. Her phone is (520) 749-0266.
NOTE: Please keep in mind that sometimes shoes ordered online have to be returned because they don’t fit perfectly; each shoe company seems to measure sizes differently. Therefore, ask about the site’s return policy. Ask If you can be sent several different sizes, and keep the ones that fit, and return the ones that don’t.